Sunday, July 8, 2018

thoughts on hiking, and photos

I went hiking this weekend -- just a short hike, nothing too demanding, although I'm always tired by the end -- and I have a couple pictures to share of some interesting views on the trail.

While I do like hiking, recently I've met some people who are *seriously* into hiking. Like, week-long or two week-long trips along trails are regular occurrences in their lives, because they *love* it. It made me think about Pyresnakes ( https://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/books/pyresnakes-by-tray-ellis-8608-b ) and my hiking-enthusiastic characters in it. While I definitely enjoy a day hike, all that business about sleeping overnight in the woods, even if there are shelters built along the way for stopping at, makes me both confused and impressed. The tug and pull between those two styles of hiking was part of how I'd started to think about Aran -- if you loved hiking, what could possibly keep you from going on these overnight trips?

I don't think I'm ever going to be an over-night kind of hiker. I participated in camping when I was younger and I'm so done with sleeping on the ground. I really like beds and mattresses and having working plumbing nearby. But, that's what writing is for -- to enjoy all the hiking without ever leaving home. :)

Ah, and here and the photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment