Saturday, August 10, 2019

bees love my orgeano

I have a little (well, maybe not so little) clump of oregano in one corner and I don't use it very often for cooking, but it is supremely popular with the local bees. This past week it was flowering and I noticed at least two types of bees -- lots of bees, it was like a bee convention with free pollen milkshakes -- one type looked like a honeybee and I think the others were probably sweat bees.

There are definitely some local beekeepers, so I'm not surprised about the honeybees. But I was so glad to see the sweat bees. These are smaller and native/local, so that means someone isn't actively keeping a hive of them like with honeybees. Seeing them means they're doing well in the local area. I know with all the lawns and such that there are probably a lot of pesticides and herbicides around, but I try my best not to use those unless absolutely necessary (a paper wasp nest last year did get dosed, but that was it) so that the good insects have a chance to do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment