Thursday, June 21, 2018

fic: Better Business Culture

Wow, tonight I actually get a breather from all the To-Dos that I have on a list. I thought since I had a few minutes, that it was time I shared the other ficlet I wrote for the Queer Sci-Fi flash fic contest, but ultimately decided wasn't quite strong enough to be the one submitted. (Since the one I did submit got accepted, I feel I chose well!)

Here's the original info for the contest: https://queerscifi.com/flash-contest-rules/

This is still just roughed out. There's a core idea, but I didn't do the heavy editing where I agonize over each word. Enjoy!

Better Business Culture

"Remember what it was like before?" Maxine nodded toward the buzzing area of activity.

Her employees bowed their heads in front of computer screens, some creating code, while others brainstormed ideas in pod-areas, their ideas taking shape in the air, formed by their words and a text-to-laser graphic app. She couldn't hear the main office since her windows were thick sound-proof glass, but she could watch while she had the glass-tint lowered. It let everyone know she was available, if needed.

"Before we got rid of Gwen?" Carla thumbed through a file. "Positively dispirited."

"Odd how it wasn't the main bosses, but one high level analyst that set the tone." Maxine thought back on their take-over. They'd charged up through the ranks, biding time until they could implement their ideas and change the stagnant, antediluvian culture.

"With her gone, people came out of their shells. Not afraid to make suggestions, offer opinions, be creative."

"Jamal and Eric started dating a week after she left. Amber put up photos of her wife and kids."

"Pat stopped hiding zir nature and dressed the way ze wanted."

"And we made 150% profit two years out, from the energy and drive they put in."

"Don't forget the overtime. Suddenly they all didn't hate being here."

"Just goes to show, sometimes a rotten apple does spoil the bunch."

"First get rid of all the haters."

Maxine rubbed her hands together and activated the widow-tint completely. "Now it's time for the next item on our impact list."



No comments:

Post a Comment