Monday, February 2, 2015

learning lessons (again and again)

With the release date of my story "Never Waste a Good Left Turn" imminent as part of the Random Acts of Kindness Anthology, the subject of acts of kindness has been on my mind lately. I've started to envisage acts of kindness kind of like the good egg/bad egg meter from the Willy Wonka movie. Good Act/Bad Act. Kind/Unkind.

Today, that meter would have been swinging wildly from side to side.

I had an opportunity to gain some knowledge, spend some time with people I didn't know well. Good.

I got ditched and had to wait for over half an hour in the bitter cold (because it was the right thing to do). Bad.

Some of the people were very friendly. Good.

Some of the people were very rude. Bad.

Overall, I suppose the kind/unkind meter ended up balanced out. But it left me with a sour taste, and a reminder that next time, I'm probably going to want to pass on so-called quality time with these individuals. Walking away mostly unscathed from my mini-adventure: Lesson Learned.

But, that part doesn't have very much to do with kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment