Saturday, October 29, 2016

aargh, ahoy there me hearties

Today was spent purchasing bags of candy and looking for things already owned in my closet to make a costume out of.

It's a tough thing to choose candy. Should I buy candy I don't like so I won't eat it? Should I buy candy I do like so that when there is candy leftover that I'll enjoy eating it? We had some serious discussions this evening about the candy-banana flavor, which is not at all like real banana flavor, but yet, is intriguing in its own right. Long story short? We still bought a heck of a lot of candy. And then came home and started eating it, even the sort we didn't care for too much.

As for the costume search--so many years in a row, I've donned my most favorite costume of all and gone as a butterfly. I have a lovely shirt and shirt combo and a gorgeous set of wings. This year I wanted to do something different, but also not need to spend too much money (or any money) as I used up my Halloween budget already on candy. So, I think I'm going as a pirate this year. Already in the closet: funky pirate-looking pants, flowing white shirt, pirate-looking vest, fake plastic sword, mini-Jolly Roger. All I needed was a bandana, which I bought for $1 on sale.

I have gone on line to find out how pirates speak and have been practicing: aaaargh, where be the treasure?

I realize that in reality pirates are *horrible*. They do bad things and they hurt people. I don't want to be that sort of pirate. I want to be the campy, non-historically correct sort that gets to reveal my inner Errol Flynn playing at Captain Blood, and have a fun night of surprising children who come to my door seeking candy and realize that grown-ups have fun on Halloween too.

No comments:

Post a Comment