Saturday, October 1, 2016

Rainbow Snippets for Saturday

Usually I'm limping in late on the joyfulness that is Rainbow Snippets, but today I'm getting in early on the fun!

Since I've been reading (re-reading) the stories in the Snowed In anthology this past week, I think I will keep with that theme and carry on.

And here's the link back to Rainbow Snippets so that you can go and enjoy the other things on offer:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RainbowSnippets

~~

First, the six sentences from my own story, Taking the Fall Line:

“I’ll do you one better than that. If you win, I’ll give you a surprise.” He wasn’t sure what sort of surprise would be fitting, but he had all day to figure out it. Maybe a trip out to Rockjutte Ridge, where the sunsets were gorgeous, and he felt like he could look straight into heaven.

Leon blinked and he opened his mouth, closed it, and then spoke. “How about a kiss?” he asked, his voice cracking on the last word. “If we win, you give me a kiss.”




And second, a recommendation for another one of the stories from that anthology, Celibate Cold by Lynn Townsend. Again, I'm totally biased and this is not a review. But it's a fantastic, fun story.

My very own summary: Topher gets caught in a snowstorm and seeks refuge at Chase's home. They get to know each other quite well as they stay warm inside and wait for the storm to end.

This is one of those fingerburners (smokin') but that isn't what is the best thing about this story. Townsend writes some of the best dialogue and narrative. It's witty and funny, leading you gently forward so that you don't even know you're being set-up, and then, bam!, twist of a phrase and you're grinning. As a writer, I read it with a level of envy that made me sigh and make a note to myself to be more clever.

~~~

Lastly, of course, the link to go find these stories:

http://www.torquerebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=4591

12 comments:

  1. Love the nervousness in Leon's line. (And hey, no reason why the two prizes can't be combined...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The vulnerability of putting forth interest--that's a powerful motivator! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I loved this anthology and the FF one too! I remember really liking both yours and Lynn's. The other one I loved was the one about the Yeti hunter.

    This is a really cute snippet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the stories are very good, it was hard to choose just one to mention. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the voice cracking. It shows the emotion without having to say it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a sweet vulnerability in Leon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) He's young, so he's not as sure of himself.

      Delete