Saturday, March 3, 2018

rice cake journey

I am on a rice cake journey of discovery and invention.

I started with this recipe:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249653/brown-rice-goat-cheese-cakes/

But I didn't have goat cheese in the house, so I substituted a mix of mozzarella and Parmesan. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of frying in oil that I do, so I steamed the veggies.

The first batch (looking somewhat roundish and in a circle) is carrot and onion with brown rice and was shaped in cupcake tins, and the second batch (cut up pieces) is sweet potato and onion with brown rice in a cast iron pan (and then cut up). Both were equally delicious, just different. They can be eaten plain, but I've been eating them with curry spooned over them.

I really like playing with this recipe. It's forgiving and allows for a lot of variation, and it still works. I'm planning on making it again, with some more variations. I want to try it on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and also to try different veggies in it.

I'm looking for something not too complicated to make, with healthy ingredients, reducing the oil but finding the right way to make it crispier by baking it in the oven, and that tastes quite good and is filling.

I'll keep everyone updated when I try again!


No comments:

Post a Comment