Saturday, January 5, 2019

cup of tea #2, and Once Upon a Rainbow #2

So while sipping on cup of tea #2, I decided a short story rather than a long novel would be about the right length before I contemplate an early morning nap. I hadn't finished reading all the stories in the anthology of Once Upon a Rainbow Vol. 2 (my story "The True Love Curse" is also in the anthology) so I opened it up and read the first story "Coming Home" by Jennifer Cosgrove.

It's a sweet take on a Cinderella-esque story, but with a Prince. I liked his best friend, Molly, and I really liked his love interest, Chris. There's an interesting plot that perks up about halfway through that keeps your attention and plays along very nicely with the characters getting to know each other better. And there are lots of parties and coffee shops. This story definitely keeps the theme of the evil step-mother intact. (And as the first story in the anthology I think it bookends really well with my story coming at the end where I play against that trope and make the step-mother one of the heroes of the story, with a truly good heart.)

If you've got the anthology at hand, it might be fun to read both stories and then think deep thoughts about how our society deals with step-parents in literature, and then how the majority of them are way better than given credit for. If you don't have the anthology at hand, then find it here: https://ninestarpress.com/product/once-upon-a-rainbow-volume-two/

Now off to nap, and read more later....

No comments:

Post a Comment